Friday, August 13, 2010

Being Serenaded in Puerto Vallarta

Something that you can expect when you dine in a restaurant or even just sit down for a beer in Puerto Vallarta is to be approached by a musician or two or more who want to serenade you.  Not that many years ago it was at your discretion as to how much you paid for a song request. But the last three years or so it seems to be about 50 pesos for a song- a little steep, especially if they aren't that talented.  ;)

Normally you can tell in advance though as you can hear them at another table as they work their way in your direction. For the most part, unless they are quite good, it is a special occasion, or we are with a group that has had too much to drink, we say no. But it can be delightful.  I've got a cute clip here when some great friends were visitng and we were having lunch on the Malecon at La Paloma.  Our friend has a great voice and was singing along. :) They are singing "Guantanamera".



One of my favorite songs to request is "Cuando Calienta el Sol". At one of the best places for a fine dinner, Hacienda San Angel, a fantastic trio, Los Palomos,  plays several nights week. They are paid by the restaurant and come by every table. We always give a tip, especially if I request a song or two but it is not required. I wish I had a video of them because they have beautiful voices and are really good musicians.

I have been trying to improve my Spanish and have promised myself I would memorize the lyrics before I request the song again.  I already have the "oh, oh, oh" down pat. :)
 
Cuando Calienta el Sol

Amoe, estoy solo aqui en la playa,
es el sol quien me acompaña
Y me quema, y me quema, y me quema

Cuando calienta el sol aqui en la playa
Siento tu cuerpo vibrar cerca de mi
Es tu palpitar es tu cara, es tu pelo
Son tu besos, me estremezco, oh, oh ,oh

Cuando calienta el sol aqui en la playa
Siento tu cuerpo vibrar cerca de mi
Es tu palpitar, tu recuerdo
Mi locura, mi delirio, me estremezco, oh, oh, oh

Es tu palpitar, tu recuerdo
Mi locura, mi delirio, me estremezco, oh, oh, oh

 
I do have a still picture of Los Palomos but unfortuantely no video. :(
 
 
   
This song has been around for 50 years and has been recorded by many artists
from Trini Lopez to Connie Francis!
Here is a video just so you can hear the music,
but this group is not remotely as good as Los Palomas!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment